Sunday 18 September 2016

OUGD604 - Brief Plans - Collaborative Brief

For the collaborative briefs this year I wanted to tackle one competition brief as well as create a brief that solves or helps a modern issue (be it ethical, moral, environmental or social).

If I was collaborating with someone on the course I think that it would be a good idea to do a printing project perhaps tackling an issue. So I have looked into some local issues in Leeds to be able to create something that could make a difference or raise awareness. After doing a little research I came up with a mind map for some key areas that could be tackled.


I think one issue that is definitely noticeable every time I go into the city centre is homelessness and people begging. And that pang of guilt you get when not being able to spare change for them. There are many charities to support the homeless like the Big Issue which allows people to get money for selling the magazine. One charity that I found that seems to really boost awareness in a graphical way is Simon on the Streets (http://simononthestreets.co.uk/). They are planning a fundraising event called Sleep with Simon so people can sleep on the streets and put themselves in the shoes of the homeless. They also offer support to homeless people who more often than not have underlying issues, both mental and physical, that got them on the streets.

I believe this cause is definitely one that needs to be tackled in Leeds and the surrounding areas. My initial idea was to talk to the common faces that you see on the side of the streets and hear their story. I think that this will make them seem more human to people who think that they are just lazy or begging because they can't be bothered finding a job.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/16861787/Spare-Change-News

No comments:

Post a Comment