Saturday 19 December 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 4 - Final Crit with Only




We had our final critique for the digital design brief with Only studio. There was a lot of general feedback that other people received that I thought was relevant for me as well. Such as to remember to check whether the fonts are web compatible - some fonts are not available for web use. My custom Seasick Steve font wouldn't be compatible either so I would have to construct eps files similar to how Only did on the Lost Village website. Also he recommended that certain heading sizes should be set for the site ranging from H1 to H6, H1 being the biggest heading size and H6 being the smallest heading size. Then on top of that there would be the paragraph text size. This makes the type on the website a lot more streamlined and cohesive throughout each page. Another reoccurring theme that seemed to come up in everyone's critiques was that there should be a constant button throughout the site for the visitors to be able to preorder the album. 

The specific feedback I got on the other hand was also very helpful. Tom said that he liked the contrast between my hand drawn typeface and the cleaner one, he mentioned that every font like this should have a contrast. But he also mentioned about the accessibility and readability of the type used within the laser cut elements and that I should check it against a site called snook which would test its compliancy (from AA-AAA).


As the current wood that I am using on the site was just a mock up until I laser cut the real more distressed looking wood I will have to try this out once that I have done the laser cutting. 

When I talked about my concept for creating a buzz on social media as well as in the 5 main target countries. They said the idea of a treasure hunt was a good one however the QR code method may come with flaws. Questions were asked about whether it could be scanned more than once to win a prize or whether people would go on social media and spread the word so lots of people would take advantage of this. Also my idea of giving out physical merchandise wouldn't be economically viable or create enough interest for the event. Samples of the new album or cover art would be a more gradual way of building anticipation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment