Wednesday 2 December 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 4 - Lasercutting Wood

I found some old wood in my garden and was inspired to try and laser cut on them in order to make some pieces to put onto the website to make it look more rustic and authentic. So I took my custom made typeface to the wood cut facilities and got it engraved into a piece of wood.


The end result is really effective, because the wood that I found had been painted and then 'aged' in my garden it created some really nice neutral colours to contrast the burnt type. I quite like the asymmetrical-ness of the plank it adds to the quirkiness of the piece and reflects Seasick Steve as a musician in my opinion.


I also tried to create a mock up of the sort of thing that could be found on the treasure hunt and they would scan the QR code to find the prize. However I didn't set up the file correctly the first time so it only printed out the outlines and not the filled parts. So I tried to print over it again after I had fixed the problem but I misaligned it. I'm pretty disappointed about this because the fixed QR code and it looks really good.



I tried re-doing the QR code on a scrap of wood in the wood shop and it worked with no issues. But unfortunately because it goes across the knot of the wood it doesn't actually scan. 


I also tried a more decorative piece to represent the album. I cut it out of plywood so originally the colour of the wood didn't look right at all - it looked too clean in comparison to all the other laser cuts that I had done. So I tried to distress it myself, I used indian ink and then sanded it back for the first stage. I then took it home with me and stained the wood with coffee. I'm really proud of how well this aged the wood in such a short about of time. 


1 comment:

  1. The CNC Machines and Laser Cuttings are using in vast fields for manufacturing and cutting purposes. They are providing good results and outstanding performance.

    ReplyDelete