Saturday 25 April 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 4 - Research


http://fieldnotesbrand.com/

My initial inspiration came from the field notes sketchbooks that you can buy. They are very popular for simple little sketchbooks, their popularity probably comes from the variety of patterned pages and different covers that you can buy. I really like the simple, straight to the point covers as they state what the book is for and what it is made of. I also like the bright colours that are available, I feel that if I used bright colours within my design journal it could possibly brighten someone's day rather than having dull and boring colours. A bright coloured note book would also stand out in your bag so you could find it easily. On the website I also found a 'kit' that you can buy complete with notebooks, a calendar and pens and pencils. I thought that I could produce a little 'survival kit' to give to the first years that had all they would need to sort out a brief initially. 

After this I decided to look at how I could lay out the book in an interesting way to appeal to young graphic designers.


I really like the way that printed pages is laid out, with extra information on the page like the numbers and sections in the middle of the page and on the top. I might incorporate some little details like this into the notebook so its not just blank, boring pages. Maybe I could include words that inspire so people could be inspired while using the notebook. Also this spread has made me think about the possibility of using coloured stock. It may be difficult to write/draw on some coloured stock if you wanted to scan it later when working digitally so having coloured pages wouldn't work. But I could still use a coloured cover like with field notes.



I love the simple straight to the point layouts in Elephant magazine. One thing that stood out to me on this particular page was the use of lines to emphasise the quote. Perhaps I could use this for my titles of each page. I don't know whether this would make it too stylised or not but it is worth a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment