Wednesday 11 March 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 3 - Logo Development

By the end of Monday we had finalised our concept and come up with some ideas for the logo. We decided to go home and work on the logo designs individually and then have a group critique of them the next day. Most of us ended up playing around with the numbers 4 and 5 themselves trying to come up with a good composition.

Megan's ideas



Thea's ideas

I really like the colour combinations that Thea has used within her designs however I don't think that they suit the tone of voice that we are trying to convey for the exhibition. They are very contemporary but feel a bit feminine which limits our target audience. I also liked the idea of chevrons as they are like a visual representation of 45 degrees. 

My Designs



I was very focused on conveying the angle of the 45 within my designs so I experimented a bit with the placement of type and the numbers at 45 degree angles. However I felt like this design reads as 4 over 5 rather than the forty five that we were going for. I also used a strong colour scheme of blue, grey and black within our designs as I was set on the fact that a 45 year wedding anniversary was a sapphire anniversary therefore the colour choice would be informed. The second design reads better but the placement, in my opinion, feels a bit clumsy - I don't know whether it is the thickness of the lines and font choice or the general layout but it just doesn't seem to work.


I moved on with the idea of slicing the text or numbers at a 45 degree angle and I thought that this was really effective. I did four five with this design as I was having second thoughts on the name and whether it was two vague that we put the two numbers together to make forty five rather than just calling it four five which are the names of the two years involved. I really like how when I sliced the text that I could line the top of the r up as if to complete the rest of the five. 


I tried the same slicing method with the number itself and it works really well. I like the abstract shapes that it has created. However I was unsure on the font choice of this design as it was slightly rounded at the edges and this didn't suit the harsh angle of the slice so I tried it with a different typeface.

This was by far my favourite so far. I used a bolder, more linear typeface to suit the harshness of the angles and also added the degrees sign to relate back to the fact that it is a degree show. I think that this logo is really contemporary and reflects both our concept and message quite well.


We had been experimenting with putting boxes around designs before as to represent the fact that it is an exhibition and its purpose is to frame and show off pieces. So I added a frame to the logo and kept it monochrome ready for the critique the next day. Overall I was really proud of the work that I produced as while working in the group before I felt like other peoples logos and concepts were a lot better than mine.

After the critique we chose my design as the final design (I was very flattered!) and as a group we altered it to fit our group vision of the concept and exhibition as a whole. First of all we decided to get rid of the degrees sign as we felt that it was too obvious and we didn't want to limit our concept to angles alone. Also compositionally we felt the logo worked well without it. We also decided to change the thickness of the box around the logo to suit that of the typeface as the thinner line looked out of place.


Next we tried to play around with the positioning of the two numbers of the logo. I tried positioning the 5 so the terminal lined up with the edge of the 4 to create an almost seamless shape that represented 45. I liked this idea that both of the numbers needed each other to be complete. But when asked for feedback people said that once again it read as four over five and that was not what we were going for.

We decided upon this composition, to offset the 4 and the 5 slightly so that they look like they were previously connected yet separated when sliced at an angle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment