Sunday 1 March 2015

OUGD404 - Design Principles - Studio Brief 2 - Book Design Research

After decided on my content for the book I decided to look mainly at children's books for my research as my end result will still be a children's book.



I love this concertina book with it's bold screen printed illustrations. The simplicity of the pages with lots of white space makes a very clean appearance however I am worried with children reading this book it wouldn't stay white for long. However I do like this minimalist approach and I think that I will try to do this with Suess' current illustrations to make it look new yet still keep to the character of the book. I might also explore screen printing the book, maybe I could limit the illustrations to 3 colours to make it more simple for screen printing. 


I really like the layout of this book - separating the letters and text from the illustrations on different pages. I also like the use of one coloured page and the other with the images however I am unsure how I could achieve this look with a concertina book, perhaps it would have to be printed rather than being a stock choice. 


Once again the layout of this book is very simple so that it is easily legible. In this specific book the illustration seems to take over leaving the text to be read after looking at the pictures. Although the text itself is typeset really well - there are no orphans or widows and the rag is very neat. I hope to create a very neat layout with my book design like this keeping the typesetting good so that I can demonstrate the rules of book layouts. 


I still really like the idea of breaking all of the rules of book design and doing concrete poetry like this experimental book layout. I thought that maybe I could split the two characters and have one typeset really well and the other breaking all the rules and going off the mood of the character at the time. Though it would all still have to be legible and readable by children so I couldn't go as extreme as this example where the text is overlapped to create patterns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment