Thursday 4 December 2014

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 1 - Development - If you can dream it you can do it



These were my initial sketches, at first I was going to have it all in a script font but after looking at Jessica Hische's work I wanted to emphasise different words with different types of lettering. So I made the "you can" bit bolder to push to the viewer that you can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it. 


After scanning in my design, I started off by trying to alter the shape of the letters to add more interest. Also, I added drop shadows to emphasise the text and make it stand out from the background. Initially I thought that I could curve the works and Photoshop a ribbon on them. But when I warped the words to form a curve, it just didn’t look right, it distorted the text and took away from the effort I had spent to make it neat. And the with the blue colour scheme the text just gets lost, it’s not punchy enough.


I took a leaf from Jessica Walsh’s book and chose a bold colour scheme and I think that it works really well. I love the bold burgundy contrasting against the light blues. I undid the curves and tried slanting the script words instead to emphasise them as I believe that they are the most important part of the quote. Also I painted in parts of the text to once again contrast the background a bit more so it is more legible.


Finally, I reverted back to the original burgundy colour but made it a lot brighter and add the texture very faintly. I think the lighter colour works much better than the one before because it allows the words to pop out more than before.  



No comments:

Post a Comment