Thursday 4 December 2014

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 1 - Development - Say cheese!

Original Scan


I didn’t want this design to be serious so straight away I thought that I should probably include cheese in some way. I wanted these last two frames in particular to target a younger audience of early to late teens. I think that this sort of humour suits that age range because it’s very clean and simple. So I created this repeat cheese pattern for the background. I simply placed my hand written text on top of it and added a white drop shadow to add contrast. However I felt like something more needed to be going on in the design.


I tried the lettering in an orange rather than black to try and make it more visually appealing. But I think the orange is a bit lost in the image with the white shadow. 


So I changed the shadow to a dark brown and immediately it makes a huge difference. I also added in the dimensions. But it was still lacking so I asked a peer for some feedback. She said that I needed to step away from the colours that are similar to cheese and use something that is completely opposite. 


Instead of having a background completely made up of the cheese pattern, I took a circle out of it to frame the wording. The colour blue works really well with the yellows and oranges as they are complementary colours, so they help to make each other stand out. 



Finally I decided that it would be more fitting if the shape that the cheese was in was a block of cheese. So I used a triangle and added a 3d effect to it by making the top of the wedge lighter than the side. Also, I added the same texture I have used in previous designs to add interest and tie the pieces together as a set.

No comments:

Post a Comment