Sunday 17 April 2016

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 1 - Further Development

After trying out the more traditional bank note ideas I decided to try out a more modernised version of my designs. I wanted to try and use photographic elements rather than illustrations. So based on my idea to use the elements of nature within each note I tried this by using half-toned images.


Initially I started with a very plain and simple design with the coloured images on a white background for extra contrast. Initially I was going to have a little bit of information explaining what the images represented within the Japanese culture but I imagine this would be more relevant to tourists rather than the residents of Japan.




I decided to make the half-tone of the photographs larger in order to be able to screen print them easily without blocking the screen. However I quite like the texture that this creates, almost like the images are made up pixels adding to the contemporary vibe of the bank notes. 



Rather than having the images coloured I decided to try out having the stock that it would be printed on coloured instead. I really like the bold colours I have used here however I feel that the red is a bit too bold or maybe to similar to the pink so it makes the trio look a bit off. I also Added a similar circle to the one that I used in my other bank note designs using the symbols to make it up. 



After asking for some feedback off my peers they said that the colour of the architecture note worked really well but the other two colours were too bold. So I muted down the pink into one more fitting to the cherry blossoms. Also I changed the colour of the koi fish note to be a lot more subtle and now I feel that it fits in nicely with the trio. 

FINAL DESIGN to be printed


For the final bank notes I added some details to do in a spot varnish to the top, saying "The Bank of Japan" and the Japanese element for which the note represents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment