Tuesday 3 May 2016

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2 - Children's illustrations

After deciding on creating a children's book I decided to search for some contemporary children's book illustrators for inspiration. 

Chris Haughton

My tutor told me about Chris Haughton's books which are vivid while still using quite a limited colour scheme. The use of the simple illustrations along with these bright colours make the illustrations really inviting and a lot more interesting than using normal colours. The use of opposite colours for the main colours helps them stand out more from the backgrounds however bright they may be. Additionally I really like the fonts that Haughton uses within his books, it adds that extra quirky edge to the books. I think I may try and find a quirky typeface rather than an ordinary sans serif to make it more visually interesting to the reader.





Hungry Sandwich Club - Pancho Lopez

Hungry Sandwich Club recently released a short animation and I was very inspired by the style of the illustration. I like how tones of one colour have been used to build the depth of the landscape up rather than having a flat looking backdrop. I also like how minimal the colour palette is simply using black, white, yellow and purple in different tones. I think I will definitely try to create some depth in the environments like has been created in the shots below.






Oliver Jeffers

Another very famous children's book illustrator and writer is Oliver Jeffers, his naive crayon like illustrations have a sense of friendliness and warmth about them. They look like they have been made with love rather than just simply drawn out with a computer mouse. Perhaps I need to do some hand drawn elements in the design to take it away from the formulaic layout and vectors that can be created digitally. Once again the colours used here are bright and poppy to attract the readers eye. He seems to use colours with a lot of contrast like below with the pink and white. Additionally I like how much empty space is used in his illustrations, it means that there is one focal point within the page rather than having to look all around it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment