Friday 6 May 2016

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2 - Critique

In this critique I showed my initial illustrations for some of the pages of my book so far. I also outlined my idea for a supporting food range for kids using the characters in the book as the mascot. This will encourage the healthy meat free eating that the book is trying to teach.

I asked about my colour palette as though it is contemporary I am not sure whether it is suitable as well as asking if the food range would be a relevant idea.

Below is the feedback that I got:

" Really like the colour palette simple and warming especially for a children's book. Do you not think its too young to promote to someone as young as 3? Why not create a children's book that informs adults too? Create a short book for children and one for adults? "

" Food range would work look at supermarket kids meals, such as M&S and Sainsbury's they both have a kid range. Love the colour palette. 3-7? 3 year olds will probably find this too complex. 5+ maybe? Many 3 year olds will not be able to engage with this. Research into the food market for children. "

" Colour palette is really nice, not sure its a bit feminine? Beautiful illustrations though and I think this idea would work best with a food range rather than the book being standalone. You could stick to the same style for the food range and perhaps offer the book as part of the food range. You could make a food trial or "Perry's trial" with it to make it more interactive? Could also create a campaign with your food range. "

" Great age group to target - hit them when they're young and start asking questions/being inquisitive. Vegetarian or vegan? Remember parents will be buying the kids book/food so it has to appeal to them too. I think the food idea is great as at that age parents often have to bring their kids food shopping so may influence what they buy. Colour palette is effective, although slightly on the girls side. Maybe make it more yellow/orangey as boys don't like pink. "

" Really like the illustrations - very cute! Great way of connecting with your target audience. In answer to your question I think it would be a great idea so that the children can put into practice what they've learnt from the book. The colour palette looks great but not sure if it fits with the target audience, perhaps could be brighter? More engaging for kids. This can really be expanded upon and there's a lot that can be done in terms of the range like more characters and healthy eating products. "

" I think this will work brilliantly as children's book, super cute! personally I think the food range is not necessary as the book is a strong enough outcome. I think the colour palette is maybe a little too girly? Any thoughts on developing the book into a range of books with other animals? "

All of this feedback was really useful. I will definitely have to have another play around with colour palettes as most people thought that the one I have chosen is a bit on the feminine side and I want the book to be unisex. Also I am pleased that people agree with my idea to create a food range and it is an interesting thought to sell the book with the food range. I think that this may be a better idea than producing a high spec hardback children's book that would only get tatty. However I did want to do some screen printed post cards but this might not be possible with all of the other things that I am planning to design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment