Tuesday 24 November 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 4 - Interim Critique

After designing some new campaign site ideas I still felt a bit lost as how to advertise this campaign and take it outside of the website onto more traditional media. My concept for found objects was strong but I was unsure how this could translate into a suitable campaign to gain interest.

As soon as I showed my website ideas someone said that the layout was similar to that of a normal website - not a campaign one - because I hadn't summarised the information and links that were on there. So this is definitely something that can be easily rectified.
Also I explained how the first thing that I did was create the custom typeface from Steve's handwriting and though it was a weird priority my peers said that it was very effective and that it captured the essence of the man himself, which adds to the whole experience.
They particularly liked my site where I used his portrait with the curved type - as it seemed approachable and intriguing. They liked the use of the black and white photo of Steve saying that it makes it more personal and immediately relates you to him. One person suggested that I could perhaps animate the type so that it looked like it was writing itself when on the website. I think this is a good idea because otherwise the front "enter" page of the site would look very static and not that attractive.

After getting some initial feedback on my website designs I asked about things that I could do for the campaign. One of my peers said that they had found that bands like U2 set up flash events where they will have pop up gigs or appearances only advertised an hour before they happen. I feel like this is suitable for U2 because of their recognition but with Seasick Steve he isn't that well known so it might not create the same buzz of activity.
I also ran my idea of having a pop up installation in the city out of found materials - like a little shack or a little bar that would make people want to approach and explore what its about. Steve himself drinks on stage so I thought that a bar might be quite appropriate and my peers said that this might just work.

But my favourite idea from one of my peers was to create an easter egg hunt of sorts, scattering objects all over a certain city from one of the 5 main target countries (Germany, France, UK, USA and Australia). Then people would have to find these peculiar found items in order to win gig tickets, merchandise or a track or album for free. This is a brilliant idea as it would create a buzz of interest around the cities and prompt people to use a hashtag or go out and get involved with a campaign that's not just digital. I thought of using QR codes to do this, so say there was a little plank of wood with a QR code, you could scan it and get the link to your prize. Obviously these QR codes would have a limited number of scans.

After this critique I feel a lot more confident about this brief, I was a bit iffy before as I have never really tackled digital design or design for screen. So having some positive feedback has helped a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment