Tuesday 14 October 2014

OUGD404 - Design Principles - Study Task 1 - Lonely Hearts ad

For our task we had to choose 3 typefaces that had a unique character and describe them with basic words such as bold or elegant. We were then asked to choose the font that we thought had the most character so of course I picked Playbill Std. I picked the lowercase k because I thought that it was the quirkiest of them all.

We then created a wanted poster in a lonely hearts style advert to find a font that complimented it. My description was as follows:
"I am a Playbill std lowercase k. I'm a quirky blast from the past that has a blunt side. I enjoy watching westerns and drinking in Saloons. I'm looking for a like minded type to join me in my action packed lifestyle." 
I decided to do a western style wanted poster to reflect the western style of Playbill. (I even added a cowboy hat and gun belt to my letter!)



In the end I matched up with Rockwell, and he chose me as well as the types were both slab serif yet Rockwell is like a more updated version of Playbill so they compliment each other really well.  


We created our hybrid font that we name "Rockbill", taking the bold slab serifs from Playbill and toning them down to add to a thinner line. We also stretched out the letter so it wasn't stretched upwards like Playbill but looked like a normal type similar to Rockwell. I think the hybrid result works really well and I would even consider exploring it further.


For the next task we were given a word in a type and we were asked to cut out a shape around the word that represented how it looks. With the big bold version of 'House' both me and my partner thought of house music as it looks similar to typefaces that would be used on a poster for a house nightclub. So we cut out a DJ and crowd as well as a music note on the bottom. We were then given the italic version of 'house' and again we agreed that this would be more suited to a type of manor house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment