Monday 20 October 2014

Studio Brief 2 - Interim Crit


Today I received feedback for my final idea for my typeface representing the word progress. I created more letterforms and some glyphs in the same style to experiment with how I can do it digitally. Initially I scanned in my ideas and traced over it with the pen tool in illustrator, but after this I found it easier to work solely digitally to create the effect.

For these letterforms I added more lines to create the letter and I asked whether this worked better than with minimal lines. My group said yes as circuits are usually detailed and have lots and lots of intersecting lines so it represents my inspiration better. Simon also suggested that I should make the circles and rectangles I used at the end of the terminals uniform as this is what they are like within a circuit. I reluctantly agreed as I had varied the size of the shapes to make a more unique pattern. 



When looking at the pattern of circuit boards again I will definitely take on this criticism as all the circles and rectangles within the design are uniform.

Additionally Simon suggested that I could experiment with using the typeface as a body copy font in smaller sizes. This is because it takes on the idea of using less ink by forming the letters using lines rather than a fill. I'm not sure whether I will get the detail of the patterns across but I will try it never the less.

GRIDS

This is the initial grid that I created for lowercase Futura. As you can see it is incredibly complicated and I believe that there are a lot of unnecessary lines used, so I went about simplifying it.


This is the first simplified grid that I created, for use on most letters, a part from those with diagonal or slanted lines in their design (e.g. x, y, z)



I think that this grid works quite well, above in green are the letters I was able to create with the grid compared with the original Futura letters. I think that they match up quite well, but you can see that within Futura the shapes are more oval while from my grid they are more circular and geometric.





No comments:

Post a Comment