Tuesday 13 January 2015

OUGD404 - Studio Brief 2 - Design Principles - Book Folding (Study task 2)


We were given sheets of A4 paper and asked to come up with as many ways of making a booklet simply by folding paper that we could. I decided to start of at a similar stand point by folding the paper in half, then in half again and in half again. This results with 8 rectangles on the sheet. 

I have had a brief lesson on book making before so I already knew two books - the trouser leg book and the 'hot dog' book (unsure of the real name of this style of book). 





Looking back at my pictures and searching the internet I realised that I have done the trouser fold wrong! It is supposed to have a lot more pages than this, and fold out to look something like the image below. But I believe this is still a creative way of creating a book, as it can fold away neatly and provides room for lots of information with the drop down panels.



(How a trouser fold book is supposed to look like.)




The other one I knew was this one. Which is known as many things like the hot dog fold book and I knew it as a beak book. It's layout is simple yet effective and provides 8 pages (including front and back).

These were my final mock ups of the best of the different folds that our group had created.




























My favourite is definitely this one, but after finding how to do it properly I think I will use that method as it has double the amount of pages as this method. 











This one turned out more like a leaflet fold, it was inspired by a font specimen that I brought in for the "what is a book" task. I used the front page cut in half to hold it all together by folding back on itself. Because of its long pages you probably could fit a lot of information into this book, and it could also fold out to create a poster like used on the font specimen. 









No comments:

Post a Comment