Wednesday 14 January 2015

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 4 - Development





At first I tried mocking up one of my more illustrative designs from my thumbnail sketches. I liked the idea of using tea cups and ribbon as it gives a very twee vibe that may appeal to a young market.  I tried to play around with the colours of the background and the ribbon to make it look as bold as possible. And I liked the blue background the most so I stuck with it. On my final design I added a pattern made out of my bird illustrations which at first I thought would work really well but now I think that it just gets lost and looks way too busy. In the end I decided that I shouldn’t move ahead any further with this design as it doesn’t feel like a packaging design, even though I tried to make it look like Clipper’s packaging. I feel like it could work as a poster to promote the new tea, but there isn’t enough in the design to advertise what the product is about. 

If I had more time on this brief I would develop this design further and possibly make a poster or billboard design to advertise the product. I feel like it would need a lot of advertisements as it is a unique product that hasn’t been done before so the message would need to be spread.




I decided that I could still use the vintage label but add it onto a background of the colour relating to the flavour of tea. Also, I decided that all the designs would be the same for the different flavours a part from the colours so I focused on the Green Tea packaging first and then I could apply the different colours and names after I finished this label. 

I started to illustrate the label a bit more by adding a tea cup illustration that I drew on Photoshop and vectorised. The indents in the rectangle fit these tea cups really well and it frames the label nicely. But I still think that there is not enough room for information on the label. 


So next I extended the rectangular box. I also found a hand drawn looking font on font fabric called Sunday, which I think suits the overall quirky hand made aesthetic really well. It reminds me of the font that was used for the Clipper packaging.  The bigger label also meant I could make the flavour of the tea stand out more, so I tried having small lines to frame it from the top and the bottom and to emphasise it even more. Additionally I added curly brackets along either side to add more interest, I think the shape of these brackets work but I might try and illustrate them with the pen tool instead so I’m not just bracketing my label. 



At this stage, I had looked back at my research and saw the tin designs again and decided to try and do some small illustrations around the label like they used. I included some of my ‘tea bird’ illustrations which adds to my twee look. I also incorporated tea leaves in a simple form with some curved lines where the brackets were. I think that this border works really well as it contrasts against the very plan box, adding ornateness and making the product seem a bit more luxurious. Instead of having the size of the bottle on its own at the bottom of the label I decided to frame it in a ribbon. I think this once again adds to the quality look of this product as I certainly don’t want it to look ordinary, because it is unique. 



After filling the outside of the piece with illustrations, the bottom felt empty so I used another vector graphic of a teapot to tie together the leaves and the tea cups as if there is a full tea set on the page, ready for the tea to be brewed. I also added a small catch line that I had used on my initial ideas. I feel like it gets across that the syrup is fresh and not processed as I am trying to appeal to the younger generation as I feel they are more impatient perhaps than the older generation is. Also you may notice that I changed the colour of the label from an off white to a bright white. This is because I decided that I would be printed on an off white stock so I wouldn’t want it to come across as too dark. 


I also designed a Peppermint tea label, however when put with the other 3 flavours it just didn't seem to work - it was too much of a dark contrast against the otherwise bright colours. So I decided to omit this design from my set.



Finally I felt like there was a lot of empty space in the label so I thought I should do some more illustrations. This time I was inspired by the Clipper illustrations which are very simple and straight forward. I struggled coming up for an illustration for green tea (a part from obviously the leaves) so I decided to change the flavour to green tea with lemon as in my research many people had green tea with lemon or honey and hardly ever on its own. I sketched out a simple outline, scanned it in and vectorised it in illustrator. I also added one colour to compliment the colour scheme and misaligned it a little to add a hand printed feel. It makes it look as if more effort has been put into it. Also, I added syrup to the ribbon with the size of the bottle, very small mind you, but I didn’t want to confuse people thinking it was tea leaves or bags. Now I just need to alter this base design for my 2 other flavours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment