Wednesday 7 January 2015

OUGD405 - Studio brief 3 - Initial Layout Thumbnails





After looking at some page layout designs I took inspiration from some of my favourite parts and tried to come up with some page layouts. I think my favourite design would be the one with the lines separating columns and a full page image. I also made some mock up booklets out of layout paper to see the sizes of the pages and spreads. I much preferred the size of the A5 booklet as it felt more manageable where as the A4 one felt like a magazine. I tried to experiment with some grids and layouts on indesign to see how they work digitally.



Playing on this idea of staggering the text columns I tried using it with wider columns, using a full page picture on the opposite page with the title cut out. I don't like the chunkiness of the columns as I feel like it looks like too much information to read in a small book, I would prefer a small amount of text and more imagery. Also it feels wrong for the image to be on the left hand page as people read left to right so the text should go from the left hand side to the right where as I have placed this layout the wrong way around. 


I think this is my least favourite design of all that I have mocked up. I thought it looked good on paper but digitally it looks very plain. Even though the odd sizes of the columns add interest it reminds me of a newspaper article rather than a contemporary publication. 


I used a 4 by 6 grid instead to make it more even. I think this layout is quite nice as having two images and the image spreading over to the next page adds a lot of interest. Also the slimmer staggered columns of text add further interest for the reader as it stops the body copy from being a daunting block of text.  


Next I tried incorporating the text and images together, by cutting out parts of the image to add my text into. I do like this idea but I feel as it it looks slightly clumsy because the 3 by 6 grid that I have created wasn't right so I ended up ignoring it for the second page and centring the columns. 




This layout was inspired by the Natural Journal pages I found, using a 3 by 6 grid. I liked the use of text on one side and the picture on the other. I feel like this design reads very well, because it doesn't overcrowd the pages and there is still lots of white space. I also added margins to the image instead of having it over a full page which I think helps to frame it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment