Saturday 14 February 2015

OUGD404 - Design Principles - Bookbinding Workshop

I really enjoyed the bookbinding workshop and I feel like I learnt a lot. We created a perfect bind, concertina and a saddle stitch book. The saddle stick book was relatively easy to do, it was just about lining up the puncture marks correctly and making the stitches tighter. I found the perfect bind the most challenging because when glueing the spine I struggled to get the glue to go into the pages. Once it had dried some of the pages had come a part from the spine. I don't think that I will use this bind for my book because of the amount of design that may be cut off from the binding. Also I wanted to create something more interesting than just an average book. 


In the end I decided that a concertina book was the best option. I believe that it suits the nature of Dr. Suess' books brilliantly as I could have a continuous illustration running through the book. This means that it could work as a long strip to read from or as a book itself flicking through the pages. Also with the hard cover it makes it more hard wearing for use with children meaning that it won't get battered too easily.




No comments:

Post a Comment