Monday 16 February 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 2 - Study Task 3 - Typographic Treatment

From the feedback from the cover analysis the words that people used to describe it were:

  • Energetic
  • Masculine
  • Dark
  • Intriguing
  • Independant
  • Chaotic
  • Collaged
  • Organised Chaos
From this I took "Chaotic" and thought that I could design a chaotic, post modernist cover and to contrast it a ordered modernist cover.



I started by experimenting with having the text slanted. I really like the use of white on a black background but I feel like this is illegible from a distance due to the cut out nature of this font. And the other geometric font, black on white, doesn't suit the mood of Typographica or the message that I was trying to portray.

Next I tried the Modernist/Post Modernist approach. For my modernist design I contrasted Helvetica bold for the title with Helvetica regular for the author's name and simply left aligned it at the top of the page to create lots of negative space. I really like the simplicity of this design as it is like a "says what it does on the tin" kind of design, it doesn't boast or brag it is just practical and legible. In contrast to this I was inspired slightly by David Carson's work, and created a ransom style title using contrasting fonts and font sizes with a mixture of upper and lower case to make it look chaotic. I then put the authors name in the corner as if to imply he is unimportant and that the book focuses on "Typographica" as it should. I picked these two designs as my finals and printed them out for people to write about. These were the comments that I received:

MODERNIST:
  • Ordered
  • Slick
  • Simple
  • Boring
  • Unfinished
  • Swiss international typographic style
  • Minimal
  • Uninspiring
  • Simplistic

POST MODERNIST:
  • Broad range
  • Playful
  • Busy
  • Too Busy
  • Ordered Chaos
  • Random
  • Funky
  • Wild 
  • Fun
  • Ransom
  • Varied
  • Post-modern
  • Hectic
  • Experimental
  • Eclectic
  • Spontaneous
  • Child-like
  • Interesting

I think that only one person got my message bang on the head and that was whoever wrote "ordered chaos" as that was the look that I was going for in my post-modern design. I got a lot more response for the post modern one too, so I might use this one as one of my ideas for the interim critique.

No comments:

Post a Comment