Wednesday 18 February 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 2 - Initial Research

For my research I wanted to focus on type based covers because I feel after analysing the cover and the contents of the book I think that the cover should be mostly typography based.
ONLINE RESEARCH


http://rumors-studio.com/projects/verso

Rumor's work with Verso Books started with the Radical Thinkers series and has since gone on to become a long-term consultancy role, encompassing all print and online titles and content. Here are two examples of their pieces that are both highly type based. The first cover creates a bold and powerful message, representing the bold statements that would be made within the book about ideology. The use of black and white may also represent the traditional ideals of the book, but they have added a twist by switching the usual text colour and background combination of black and white. The second cover cleverly combines concentric circles as if to imitate radio waves over the title and author of the book. I like the use of all lowercase as it makes it a more approachable book cover compared to the overpowering all uppercase book cover used in the first cover. 







This book cover initially caught my eye because I thought that this sort of overlapping colour style would work brilliantly using screen printing. Also the typeface used looks very similar to the typefaces used most commonly used within letterpress, which could suit Typographica as it goes through a brief history of graphic design particularly within typography. It reminds me slightly of some of the bauhaus looking pieces within Typographica, like the piece below by Werkman. Combining abstract shapes and typography works really well as it seems to emphasise some of the words within the cover. 


PRIMARY RESEARCH

When looking at the book I took a lot of inspiration from the content as well as from existing book cover designs. Flicking through the pages there was a lot of designs that I found very inspiring and seeing as the existing cover is based on one of Typographica magazines covers I thought it would be apt to use some of its other content for my design. 


I like this cover because it shows the fragmentation of the type on the cover, as if it was built out of the lines and curves. I also quite like the juxtaposition of the author and the subject of the book as it adds to the dynamism of the cover, making it feel like all the shapes and text are jumping about the page. Even though it is black and white it doesn't feel flat or boring because of the texture of the stock and the fact that the pattern of the abstract lines fills the page.



This cover's idea of overlaying the letters t, y, p and e is really effective as it creates an abstract set of shapes that draws the eye straight away. I wish that I could use lots of colours like this in my design however I think it might look more impactful with just two colours. Also I like how the title and all the text on the cover has been fit inside the big letter forms so that the composition is all central. 


I really like the use of one big bold letter dominating the whole cover with no other information on it. All the info like the author or publisher or even the title could be put on the spine so I could create a dramatic letterform to fill the front cover. I also like how this letterform of an A isn't sharp and crisp, you can see all the little bumps making it feel friendlier rather than harsh. It even looks as though it may be a stencil that has the light shining through it suggesting that the book is one of revelations, shining a light on a subject. 


Here I love the use of gold on black. I have already created a screen print using these colours and they go together so well. I also really like the juxtaposition of the type of the title - though the letters are separated it is still readable. I am very tempted to use metallic inks again in my design as the add an extra depth to the piece as they change colour depending on the lighting.


The distortion of the text within this image is slightly odd but strangely likeable - the contrast between the sans serif and the distorted letterforms adds real character to the piece. Additionally I love these punchy colours of the blue and orangey yellow which are slightly complementary to each other, I think within my designs I will try to use bright colours to grab the readers attention. 


It took me ages to actually realise what the title of this book was - the letterforms are interesting for image purposes but they are not very readable as a title. Eventually I worked it out because it was written beneath the title in the corner of the book. The cover is visually striking due to the dramatic differences in the typefaces that have been used, it made me want to look inside from its ambiguous cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment