Thursday 8 October 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 2 - Brush Lettering Experiments

To add to the gothic vibe I experimented with inked hand lettering using a 3mm parallel fountain pen, a chisel tip pen and brush and ink. 


I really like the effect that this fountain pen gives especially with rushed strokes. I tried some small illustrations and they had a really nice quality to them. I could try incorporating these into the logo or perhaps on some of the collateral. 


These were created using the chisel tip pen. I am not as keen on them as the others but once again the more rushed version has a nice aesthetic with the contrast in line weight. 


I tried a more script typeface while using the ink and brush but I don't think that this suits the style or theme of the coffee shop at all. The capitalised sans serif is much better suited. 

I then scanned in the pages and vectorised them in illustrator, picking out my favourite from each of the pages. 


This was from the brush and ink version and I think that it has come out really well on screen. It works especially well as white on a black background - it really adds to the surreal and dark nature of the coffee shop. However I don't know whether this would be enough to use as a logotype, I will have to ask for feedback. 

I also really liked this version when I scanned it in. It's a lot edgier and rougher than the others but I think that this works. I'm not sure whether this would work as a logo but I could use this style of type for quotes to be used on napkins or something like that. 

I love how this illustration turned out. The variation of the thickness of the lines mixed with the abstract ness of the illustration over all really makes it stand out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment