Saturday 24 October 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 3 - Implementing Layout Ideas

Having drawn out some initial sketches and looked through them all I decided that I wanted to keep the layout of my book very minimal. 


Here I tried t use a full bleed spread of the photograph, however due to the quality of the photos being poor it doesn't look right. The photos become pixelated when they are stretched to this size and that makes for a very unprofessional looking book. 

So moving on I tried a layout loosely based around the Van de Graaf canon with a much smaller area for the content. However I felt that the type on the spread isn't really needed as I repeat myself in a lot of the descriptions and analysis due to the similarity of the type within a small area. Most of my type comes from the signs for certain tents or food stalls within the main arena which means most of them have the same purpose and similar connotations.



So next I tried a very minimal layout with no text used at all. I wanted to try out the idea of using tracing paper to highlight the one letter that is being looked at, in this case A. I like this idea of just simplifying the layout to just image and isolating the letterforms. It brings a sort of interactivity between the reader and the book. Also having just imagery means that the book can be flicked through without having to read anything, as if the reader was walking in my footsteps through the festival.


Taking inspiration from the Meteor book from my research I thought I could try coloured tracing papers to brighten up the images. I tried grey scaling one image and using the colour of the tracing paper to create a duotone like effect. But I feel like it makes the image look muddy due to the presence of the blacks and greys underneath. After looking and experimenting with colours like this, I will definitely keep it plain and simple so the focus is always on the photographs and nothing distracts the reader away from it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment